Reports To: Lead Service Engineer
Job Status: Full-Time
Location: Alexandria, VA
To Apply: Send your resume to firstname.lastname@example.org and in your cover letter explain your experience.
At Nanoscience Instruments we market, sell, and service sophisticated scientific instrumentation. Our products are utilized by large and small universities, government labs, startups, and multinational corporations across the US and Canada. We enable innovation by providing complex instrumentation which can probe and discover materials, processes, and interactions at the nanoscale.
We are currently seeking a Field Service Engineer who will be based out of our Alexandria, Virginia office. Duties will include roughly 60% travel for on-site service, as well as repair depot work in the Alexandria office and constant customer communications.
Nanoscience Instruments is hiring service engineers who are intellectually curious, hands-on, and natural problem solvers. Our products are the culmination of physics, electronics and mechanics. The service engineers will learn to support technologies which include Scanning Electron Microscopes, Quartz Crystal Microbalance devices, Electrospinning equipment, and others. These positions involve direct interaction with scientists and engineers at our customers locations, providing exposure to some of the most exciting research in the world today.
Duties and ResponsibilitiesEssential duties and responsibilities include the following. Other duties may be assigned:
- Conduct preventative maintenance of complex instruments and follow testing procedures to ensure proper working operation
- Diagnose and repair the scientific instruments as required
- As needed, conduct on-site maintenance visits across the US and Canada (occasional weekend travel). Some training may be required at international vender locations (The Netherlands, Sweden, Finland, and others)
- Provide troubleshooting and repair support for customers via phone, email and using remote connection software
- Cultivate and develop positive working relationships with customers, system users, and company personnel
- Complete and submit detailed service reports
- Work with factory based Technical Support teams around the world, identifying and isolating unique problems
- Work with Nanoscience Application Scientists to learn best practices and perform basic customer trainings
- Other duties may include, but are not limited to, instructing customers on operation and maintenance of equipment
Education / Experience
- Possess or working on an engineering degree (e.g., Electrical or Mechanical) or equivalent demonstrable experience with electronic/mechanical systems in lieu of degree
- Demonstratable instrumentation, or prior field service, experience
- Literate in Windows software environments
- Comfortable working with high value scientific equipment such as Scanning Electron Microscopes
- Customer facing experience in a technical role is a plus
Knowledge, Skills, & Abilities
- Ability to deal effectively with customers, excellent interpersonal communication skills, able to read and interpret schematics, familiar with basic networking protocols, Linux knowledge a plus
- Naturally curious, ability to learn quickly
The employee must occasionally lift and/or move up to 50 pounds. Specific vision abilities required by this job include Close vision, Peripheral vision, Depth perception and Ability to adjust focus.