Optimal surface preparation on a wide range of sample types
Technoorg Linda Ion Mills created from over 25 years of technical innovation. Leveraging expertise from a Nobel Laureate in Physics and a team of scientists and engineers, these systems are the most precise, fastest and easiest to use instruments available
Offering the widest range of beam energies and beam inclinations, these tools excel in sample preparation for a wide range of sample types including alloys, semiconductors, polymers, soft materials and organics.
Utilized the world over in a variety of fields including material science, biological research, geology, semiconductor and optical industry, multi-layer systems and many others.
- Highest thinning rate for fast slope cuts a multiple angles
- Dedicated low energy gun for best SEM/TEM sample surface finishes
- Longest-life ion gun, can be cleaned within an hour
- Automated operation with pre-programmed recipes for user-independent results
- Low-temperature cooling with monitoring for temperature-sensitive samples
- Lowest yearly operating costs
Each tool is designed for applications that require fine polishing of EBSD samples, thinning of transmission electron microscopy (TEM) samples, uniform fine polishing of heterogeneous surfaces, air protected sample preparation environment to prevent oxidation, and integrated stage cooling for temperature sensitive samples.
Grain Orientation Analysis
The SEMPrep2 quickly prepares site specific cross sectional EBSD samples utilizing a high energy ion gun. Site specific cross sectional EBSD sample preparation with high energy Ion Gun for grain orientation analysis.
- Precise preparation, cross sections of samples – hard, soft, or composites – without smearing, crumbling, distorting, or contaminating them in any way
- The highest thinning rate for fast slope cuts at multiple angles
- Long-life ion gun can easily be cleaned in an hour
Features for Versatility
Cover all possible sample types with two different cooling options for diverse specimen preparation.
The Liquid Nitrogen cooling is suggested for heat sensitive or cryo specimens. With this option the sample temperature can be decreased dramatically and controlled in the sub-zero range.
Peltier cooling is a comfortable protection against overheating and it helps to keep the sample around room temperature.
Examples of Easily Prepared Specimen
- Soft materials
Flat Polished EBSD Samples
The SEMPrep2 features widest range of beam energies and inclinations on the market, creating ultra-smooth and large flat areas for EBSD characterization and data collection. The high-energy Ar+ ion beam provides faster polishing and low energy for final polishing makes which the SEMPrep2 is the ideal instrument for mechanically polished EBSD and precisely prepared cross section samples.
- Best in class high-energy fast milling and low-energy surface polishing for damage-free flat/cros-sectional samples
- Cooling options to avoid heating artifacts
- Achieve high-quality damage and oxide-free surfaces
The grain size characterization is possible even on non-planar geometries utilizing the oscillatory mode during Ar+ ion polishing. The final surface is ideal for grain size analysis as well as identifying any geometry dependent gradients in the grain sizes.
- Large oscillation angles to reach all surfaces
- Highest energy gun to mill the areas further away from the ion gun
- Imaging analysis ready surfaces after minutes of ion polishing
Thin Films Cross Section
Critical thin film deposition in semiconductor devices and other applications need direct measurements to characterize the exact thickness of multiple layers. Cross sectioning with ion milling provides the only way to produce clean cross sections without damaging the layers.
- 90-degree cross section option for the easiest thickness measurements on tens of layers
- Low energy gun to produce clean surfaces without damage
- Multiple cuts allowed on the same sample to increase efficiency
High-quality site-specific sample preparation for SEM applications. Slope cutting, polishing & cleaning of samples for SEM, EBSD, CL, EDS & WDS
Fully automated ion beam thinning system for TEM/XTEM sample preparation. Thinning & gentle polishing/cleaning of TEM samples.
FIB sample preparation for final polishing and cleaning. Cleaning & post-processing of TEM & FIB samples.