Attension® Theta Optical Tensiometers
Roughness-Corrected COntact Angle with The Attension® 3D Topography Module
Attension Theta Optical Tensiometer for Topography applications is ideal for studying microscale roughness. The Topography module is an innovative system capable of separating the effect of surface roughness to the contact angle result. As a result, roughness-corrected contact angles can be better compared with each other for research and quality control purposes. Roughness correction on contact angles also enables the calculation of fundamental surface free energy on rough surfaces.
- Integrated method enabling to define contact angle and surface roughness accurately from the same location and to combine both surface chemical and topographical data with automated software calculations.
- Offers fast surface characterization method, which does not demand specialist to run the samples.
- Versatile roughness measurement: both 2D and 3D characterization.
Talk to an Instrumentation Specialist Today!
Attension® 3D Topography Module
Wettability is typically studied by a contact angle measurement that can be defined with the well-known Young equation on ideal surfaces. Surface free energy theories are also based on assumptions that Young contact angles are used for calculations. Thus, the surface is assumed to be chemically homogeneous and topographically smooth. This is, however, not true in the case of real surfaces. It is well established that surface roughness enhances the existing wetting behavior and influence on adhesion.
Theta Topography makes it possible to define Young contact angle and surface free energy measurements as well as measurements for rough surfaces according to the well-known Wenzel theory. The roughness corrected contact angles make it possible to understand the influence of roughness and chemistry on the wettability of your surface, separately. By using the highly accurate motorized XYZ sample stage, we can perform both measurements from the exact same location and map the complete surface to check homogeneity and cleanliness.
- Θc, roughness corrected contact angles
- 3D and 2D topographical parameters and visualization
- 3D roughness image and parameters: Sdr, Sa and Sq
- 2D roughness image and parameters: Ra, Rq, Rp, Rv, Rz and R10z
- Inkjet printing
- Printed electronics
- CA of small objects such as single fiber and small O-rings