Please note this position requires your ability to travel internationally and throughout the United States.
About Nanoscience Instruments:
At Nanoscience Instruments we market, sell, and service sophisticated scientific instrumentation. Our products are utilized by large and small universities, government labs, startups, and multinational corporations across the US and Canada. We enable innovation by providing complex instrumentation which can probe and discover materials, processes, and interactions at the nanoscale.
We are currently seeking a Field Service Engineer who will be based out of our Alexandria Virginia office. Duties will include roughly 60% travel for on-site service, as well as repair depot work in the Alexandria office and constant customer communications.
Nanoscience Instruments is hiring service engineers who are intellectually curious, hands-on, and natural problem solvers. Our products are the culmination of physics, electronics and mechanics. The service engineers will learn to support technologies which include Scanning Electron Microscopes, Quartz Crystal Microbalance devices, Electrospinning equipment, and others. These positions involve direct interaction with scientists and engineers at our customers’ locations, providing exposure to some of the most exciting research in the world today.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities include the following. Other duties may be assigned.
- Conduct preventative maintenance of complex instruments and follow testing procedures to ensure proper working operation.
- Diagnose and repair the scientific instruments as required.
- As needed, conduct on-site maintenance visits across the US and Canada (occasional weekend travel). Some training may be required at international vendor locations (The Netherlands, Sweden, Finland, and others).
- Provide troubleshooting and repair support for customers via phone, email and using remote connection software.
- Cultivate and develop positive working relationships with customers, system users, and company personnel.
- Complete and submit detailed service reports.
- Work with factory based Technical Support teams around the world, identifying and isolating unique problems.
- Work with Nanoscience Application Scientists to learn best practices and perform basic customer training.
- Other duties may include, but are not limited to, instructing customers on the operation and maintenance of equipment.
To perform this job successfully, an individual must be able to perform each essential duty satisfactorily. The requirements listed below are representative of the knowledge, skill, and/or ability required. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
Minimum Qualifications Required:
Bachelor’s Degree – must be based in the fields of the sciences, learning or higher education and/or professional background must have been shaped by extensive or prolonged intellectual effort and / or an advanced degree.
- 3-5 years prior experience as a team leader or manager, preferably in a high-tech/Service environment.
Knowledge, Skills, & Abilities:
- Ability to deal effectively with customers, excellent interpersonal communication skills, able to read and interpret schematics, familiar with basic networking protocols, Linux knowledge a plus.
- Naturally curious, ability to learn quickly.
The employee must occasionally lift and/or move up to 50 pounds. Specific vision abilities required by this job include Close vision, Peripheral vision, Depth perception and Ability to adjust focus.
Nanoscience Instruments reserves the right to conduct a background check on candidates residing in United States to whom it has made a conditional offer of employment and includes a motor vehicle report.
*Nanoscience Instruments & Analytical is an equal opportunity employer. We are committed to a work environment that supports, inspires, and respects all individuals and in which personnel processes are merit-based and applied without discrimination on the basis of race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, marital status, age, disability, national or ethnic origin, military service status, citizenship, or other protected characteristic.
Job Type: Full-time
- 401(k) matching
- Dental insurance
- Health insurance
- Health savings account
- Paid time off
- Relocation assistance
- Vision insurance
- 8 hour shift
Ability to commute/relocate:
- Alexandria, VA 22303: Reliably commute or planning to relocate before starting work (Required)
- Bachelor’s (Preferred)
Work Location: In person
To apply: Send your resume and cover letter to email@example.com